Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnut Oil Dressing
Indispensable to traditional Provencal cooking, walnut oil adds a delicate, nutty taste and rich perfume to the beet salad dressing in this recipe. A L'Olivier produces virgin oils the old-fashioned way, using local walnut kernels that are toasted, stone-ground into a paste, and then freshly pressed and bottled.
- 1 tbsp. Martin Pouret white wine vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Fallot Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. A L'Olivier Walnut Oil
- 1 tbsp. sunflower oil
- Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 4-6 medium beets, cooked and cut into thick wedges
- 2 oz. creamy blue cheese, crumbled, such as St. Clemens brand
- 2 oz. toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Fresh chives, finely chopped for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and salt. Add the mustard and blend. Slowly whisk in the walnut and sunflower oils until well blended and add pepper to taste.
- On serving platter, place cooked beets and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle the beets with the blue cheese and walnuts. Garnish with fresh chives and serve immediately.
Recipe by: Allison Boomer