Countess Bicocchis Torta Numerouno Traditional Olive Oil Lemon Cake
Chefs prize Tenuta Del Numerouno extra virgin olive oil for its unique combination of mild taste and rich density. Unlike other extra virgin Tuscan oils produced from olives grown at high elevations (with a natural peppery taste), Numerouno has a softer flavor that is compatible with many dishes including desserts. Countess Bicocchi, owner of the Numerouno Estate, even bakes her favorite cake with it.
- 7 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup Tenuta Del Numerouno extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- Grated rind of one lemon
- Confectioners sugar
- Set the oven at 375 degrees. Grease with olive oil a 10-inch round cake pan.
- In bowl, beat eggs yolks by hand and gradually add sugar and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking powder and lemon rind. Mix until well combined.
- In separate bowl, using an electric mixer beat egg whites into soft peaks. Gently fold into cake batter.
- Pour into greased cake pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let cake cool and sprinkle generously with confectioner's sugar.
Recipe from: Countess Bicocchi, Numerouno Estate