Makes 1/2 cup
French vinaigrette demands authentic, full-flavored vinegar. The slow fermentation at the heart of traditional Orleans process vinegar provides the necessary depth, clarity and intensity for this classic recipe.
- 2 tablespoons Martin-Pouret or Kimberley white wine vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Edmond Fallot Dijon Mustard (optional)
- 6 tablespoons A L'Olivier or Castelas extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh green herbs such as: parsley, chives, tarragon, basil, minced (optional)
- In bowl, beat with whisk the vinegar and salt (and optional mustard) until the salt is dissolved.
- Add the olive oil by droplets and beat until thoroughly blended. Season with pepper.
- Stir in the optional herbs and correct seasoning just before dressing the salad.
Adapted from: Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child