- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 small shallot (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Time: 45 minutes
- Add the salt, shallot and bay leaf to the milk.
- Scald the milk, that is, bring it almost but not quite to a boil. Remove the seasonings.
- Make a white roux. Melt the butter on low heat. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and blend it in. Cook until it froths, 2-3 minutes. Do not let the roux color.
- Take the roux off the heat. Let it sit a minute or two to cool down a bit, then pour in the hot milk all at once.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat. Whisk constantly until it is thick and smooth.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Add pepper to taste.