- 4-5 lb. chicken
- 1 ½ cups water
Time: 2 hours
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- Using poultry shears, remove the backbone from the chicken by cutting closely along its length on both sides.
- Place the chicken skin side up on the work surface and press down on it to crack the breastbone and flatten it out.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Put the sea salt in a large bowl. Add the water a little at a time until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Spread a layer equal to the area of the flattened chicken on the sheet pan.
- Place chicken on the pan and pack the rest of the dampened salt over the entire chicken. Make sure that it is completely and evenly covered with no holes or skin showing through.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place the rack in the center of the oven. Bake for 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until meat registers 165° F at the thickest part of the thigh.
- Pull from oven. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Break the hard salt crust using the handle of a chef’s knife or mallet and brush off any loose salt.