- Black pepper
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 clementines
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 large bulb fennel
- ¼ cup unsalted pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chives
Time: 45 minutes
Make the Salad
- The fronds from the fennel, coarsely chopped.
- Make a vinaigrette with the EVOO, fig vinegar, and a pinch of salt by shaking them in a covered jar until emulsified. This will yield about ½ cup.
- Slice the stem and blossom end of the fruit until the flesh is exposed. Use a paring knife to cut from top to bottom; following the fruit's contour, remove the peel in strips. Cut along the membranes to segment the fruit. Combine all the citrus in a bowl.
- Chop off the stalks from the fennel bulb, reserving the fronds to finish the salad. Slice the bulb in half from top to bottom. Cut out the core. Shave the fennel paper thin with a mandoline, making certain to use the guard. Add it to the mixed citrus and toss with 1/4 cup of dressing plus a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Mound the salad on soup plates. Garnish with pistachios., chives, and fennel fronds. You may want to add another pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper.