- Pasta Frolla Shortbread Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick / 4 ounces colds butter, unsalted, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Farro & Ricotta Filling
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 ½ pounds ricotta
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon, grated
- zest of 1 orange, grated
- confectioners’ sugar
Time: 3 Hours
Yield: 2-10 inch Pies
Make the Pasta Frolla Shortbread Pie Crust
- Put all the dry ingredients into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse a few times to
- combine. Add the butter. Use quick pulses to cut it into the flour. It should
- resemble fine cornmeal. Add the eggs and process until the dough balls up on the
- blade. Remove the dough and knead it on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Rinse the farro then soak in a bowl of cold water overnight
- Combine the milk and water in a heavy bottom saucepan and bring to a boil. Add a
- pinch of salt. Add the drained farro and stir until the liquid returns to a boil. Lower
- the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the
- wheat, put it in a bowl, and stir in the butter. Let it cool for ½ an hour.
- Beat the eggs until frothy, then beat in the sugar. Stir in the ricotta, vanilla,
- cinnamon, and citrus zest. Add the farro and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Bring the pasta frolla dough to room temperature and roll it out. Line two 9-inch pie plates
- with the pastry. Cut the remainder into lattice strips.
- Put half of the filling in each pie shell. Criss-cross the lattice strips on the top and
- crimp the edge.
- Bake 45 minutes until golden. Cool on a rack then refrigerates overnight.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Login and Registration Form