- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Freshly ground pepper
- Toast the cardamom pods in a hot skillet off the heat.
- Remove the seeds and grind them.
- Rinse the rice under running water until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in a heavy 2-quart saucepan with a close-fitting lid.
- Add the water, a pinch of salt, and cardamom. Bring to a boil, uncovered.
- As soon as you reach a boil, pop the lid on the saucepan and adjust the heat to low.
- In 17 minutes, turn off the heat. Lay a clean napkin over the pot and replace the lid for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with two forks.
- Dress the rice with the Grandverde olive oil and lemon zest.
- Season with a couple of twists of black pepper from the mill.