- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium leeks white and light green sections, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, strings removed and sliced
- Bouquet garni of 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs of thyme, 3 sprigs of parsley and
- 3 celery leaves
- 2 cups cleaned and sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups Agribosco 10 Minute Organic Barley, rinsed under cold running water
- ¼ cup white vermouth or dry white wine
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 8 cups boiling water
- Handful each of dill and parsley, chopped
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- MAKE a MIREPOIX.
- In a 3 quart Dutch oven heat the butter over medium heat until the foam subsides. Stir in the leeks, shallots, carrots and celery.
- When they are coated in butter, add the bouquet garni. Lower the heat, cover the pot and sweat the vegetables until they begin to soften, 5-10 minutes.
- MAKE the SOUP.
- Raise the heat to medium. Stir the mushrooms into the mirepoix. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the barley. Coat the grains with butter. Add a bit more butter if necessary. Let them cook for a minute or two.
- Pour the white wine into the mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Give the it a couple twists from the pepper mill and a pinch of salt.
- Add 8 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the barley is chewy but cooked.
- Stir in a handful each of chopped dill and parsley.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.