- 4 ½ cups chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (3lb.) whole chicken, cut into small pieces
- 6 small lobster tails
- ½ lb. peeled and deveined small shrimp, tails intact
- 1 lb. mussels
- 2 dozen little neck clams in shell, scrubbed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup green peas
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Time: 1 hour
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan; reduce the heat to low and cover. Rinse rice with cold water, drain, set aside.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the garlic with a teaspoon of salt. Add the parsley then work in the curry powder, saffron and black pepper. Blend with a cup of hot stock. Set the seasoning liquid aside.
- Brown the chicken pieces on each side in 3 tablespoons olive oil, about 10 minutes. Take them out of the pan. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan. Add more olive oil if needed. Sauté until the onion takes some color. Stir in the rice until the grains are coated in oil. Put the chicken back into the pan. Pour in both chicken and stock and seasoning liquid. Bring to a low simmer. After 10 minutes add the fish and shellfish. Simmer until the rice is nearly tender about 5- 10 minutes more. Add the peas. Remove from heat, cover with foil and let stand for about 7 minutes, until the rice is soft and flaky.