- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- Pecorino Romano or Fiore Sardo, grated
- Sea salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
- Warm the stock in a skillet or sauté pan.
- Quickly dip each sheet of pane carasatu into the stock to moisten and remove to a sheet pan or platter.
- Line up four plates. Spread a spoon full of sauce on each plate.
- Lay on a sheet of pane carasatu. Top it with some tomato sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Repeat, using 3 sheets of pane carasatu per serving.
- Top with a poached egg.
- Finish with a dollop of tomato sauce, another sprinkle of cheese, salt, pepper and the basil.