- Esprit du Sel Grey Sea Salt
- 2 large bunches fresh flat- leaf parsley, plus more to finis
- 1 large bunch cavola nero (Tuscan kale), stems and leaves separated
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups of mixed greens such as lettuce, arugula and spinach
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- black peppercorns crushed
- 2 tablespoons Italian pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 strips of lemon zest (removed with a vegetable peeler), each about 1-inch long
- Grated Parmigiano -Reggiano cheese
Time: 1 hour
Make the Pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season heavily with salt. Add the parsley, kale stems, leek, and greens. Return to a boil. Reduce the to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer the vegetables to a colander to cool. Blanch the kale leaves for 30 seconds, then add them to the colander. Squeeze out the excess water from the greens. Finely chop them and set aside.
- Put olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over low heat and cook gently until the garlic is slightly golden. Add the chopped greens and cook until you hear them almost cracking and start to get a little color, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the water in which you blanched the greens back to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente about 10-11 minutes. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the greens. Turn the heat to high and stir in the pine nuts and lemon zest. Add a splash of the reserved pasta water and heat until warmed through about 5 minutes.