- Make the Crust
- 12 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Make the Filling
- 12 oz. raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Make the Oat Topping
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 grams)
- ½ cup brown sugar (100 grams)
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Make the Orange Icing
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice
- Zest of an orange
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Make the Filling & Streusel Topping
- Make a slurry by blending the cornstarch with a splash or two of the raspberry vinegar in a small bowl or teacup. Combine the raspberries, remaining raspberry vinegar, granulated sugar in a saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and stir in the slurry. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously until the filling begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and cool for at least an hour before proceeding.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Butter and line an 8” x 8” inch baking pan with parchment.
- Whisk the flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl to combine. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until coarse crumbs form.
- Use your fingertips. Refrigerate until needed.
Make the Crust
- Beat the butter, flour, brown sugar, and salt for 2-3 minutes until clumps start to form, and then add vanilla extract. Continue to beat until a crumbly dough begins to form. Press the dough into the pan, making sure to form an even layer. Use the back of a drinking glass or measuring cup to compact the dough down. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Spread the raspberry filling on top of the crust. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top. Bake for another 25-30 minutes. Let the bars cool for an hour, then refrigerate for4-6 hours before slicing.
To Make the Icing
- Mix together the orange juice, orange zest, and powdered sugar to make the icing. Drizzle it over the raspberry bars before serving.