- 3 large fennel bulbs
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- ½ cup (packed) mint leaves + additional for finishing
- Zest of 1 orange or tangerine
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups Pecorino Romano, grated
Time: 30 minutes
Make the Pasta
- Set a pot of water on the stove to boil. When it reaches a boil add sea salt.
- Clean the fennel. Chop and reserve any fronds for garnish. Cut the fennel lengthwise into quarters and remove the cores. Slice ½ -inch thick. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over high heat until shimmering. Add the fennel in as even a layer as possible. Season with salt. Cook until the underside is golden, 6-8 minutes. Then turn and brown for another 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the anchovies, garlic, pepper flakes, and mint. Cook, often stirring, until the anchovies are disintegrated and the garlic is golden for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the citrus zest. Cover the pot to keep the sauce warm.