- Parmigiano Reggiano D.O.P. broth (made 24 hours ahead)
- ½ lb. Parmigiano Reggiano D.O.P. aged for 24 months
- 4 quarts still mineral water at room temperature
- 16 oz. Campanini Arborio rice
Time: 1 hour for risotto, overnight for broth
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- MAKE the PARMIGIANO REGGIANO BROTH.
- The day before you make the risotto, grate the cheese and mix with the mineral water in a large pot.
- On the stovetop, slowly heat the water until the Parmigiano Reggiano starts to form threads at the bottom. A thermometer will read between 176°F and 194°F.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day remove the solid that has formed on top of the liquid and place it in a bowl. This will be used to enrich the risotto.
- MAKE the RISOTTO.
- Bring the Parmigiano Reggiano broth to a simmer.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over a medium flame.
- Add the rice and toast until it starts to warm up.
- Pour a ladle full of the Parmigiano Reggiano broth over the rice. Stir until it is completely absorbed.
- Continue to stir and add broth this way. After 20 minutes, add a little bit of the solids that separated from the Parmigiano Reggiano broth.
- When the rice is ready, in 30-35 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and briskly mix in the remainder of cheese to give the risotto a creamy texture.
- Put the risotto in a shallow bowl and serve with balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.