- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of roasted red pepper that has been chopped or pounded into a paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of harissa, or a pinch of Cayenne, or a dash or two of hot sauce
- ½ cup of fresh breadcrumbs, soaked in water and then squeezed to expel it
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- Pound the garlic into a paste with a pinch of sea salt.
- Blend in the roasted pepper puree and the harissa.
- Add the saffron if you opted to use it. Stir this paste into the breadcrumbs until well blended.
- Make a mayonnaise using the hand mixer to whip the oil into the egg yolk one drop at a time until the sauce begins to emulsify; then, you can increase to a trickle. Fold the mayonnaise into the breadcrumb mixture.