- 2 ½ lbs. (6-8) ripe tomatoes depending on their size
- 2 cups artisan white bread, crusts removed
- 2 garlic cloves, cleaned and mashed
- ¼-½ cup of water as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- Cut an“x” into the blossom end of the tomatoes and plunge them, a few at a time into a saucepan of boiling water.
- Lift them out after a minute and refresh under cold running water.
- Slip the skins. Core and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Put the garlic and the tomatoes in the blender and puree on high until liquefied.
- Tear the bread into a bowl. Soak the bread in water and squeeze it dry.
- Add the bread and the vinegar to the tomatoes in the blender. Run the blender again. Loosen the puree with water as needed.
- Add the olive oil to the blender in a thin stream until it is incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until well chilled.
- TO SERVE.
- Before serving, taste again for salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Garnish each serving with flaked tuna and ½ chopped egg.
- Add another drizzle of the extra virgin olive oil for flavor.
- TO HARD BOIL EGGS.
- Place the eggs in an appropriately sized saucepan for the quantity that you are making. Cover with cold water.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat when the water comes to a boil. Cover.
- Let the eggs rest for 15 minutes and then refresh them in a cold water bath.