- INGREDIENTS for STARTER
- 1 envelope of active dry yeast (1/4oz / 2 ¼ teaspoons / 11 gr) OR 1/3 of a 2 oz cake of fresh yeast (4 teaspoons / 19gr)
- 1 teaspoon (4 gr) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 gr) flour
- 1/4cup (59 ml) warm water
- INGREDIENTS for DOUGH
- 1 ½ (9 gr) teaspoons sea salt
- 8 cups (960 gr) all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ cups (650 ml) water (approximately)
- 3-4 tablespoons (38-51 gr) fresh rosemary leaves
Time: 3 hours
Yield: 2 Flatbreads
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar and flour in warm water.
- Stir in the yeast. Let rest approximately 15-20 minutes. The yeast is ready to use when it is creamy and bubbly.
- Mound the flour on your work surface. Make a well in its center. Pour in the starter. Working with your hands, add the water in a splash at a time until you create a wet, sticky dough. Add more water if needed. Then add the salt to the dough. Use your floured hands to gather the dough together.
- Sprinkle on a little flour if needed to hold it together. The dough should be quite soft and airy. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let it rest until the dough has doubled in bulk 1-2 hours.
- Put it back on your work surface and softly fold it to release the air. Place it back in the bowl, cover it and set aside.
- When it has again doubled in bulk, punch it down. Let it double a third time. After the third rise, punch down the dough. Use a bench knife to divide the dough in half.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Position one rack in the top 1/3 of the oven and another in the center. Oil two 13” x 18” sheet pans.
- Flatten and stretch the dough on the sheet pans. Press it down all over with your fingertips. You want to make little dents. This is what makes schiacciata, schiacciata. Pour ¼ cup olive oil onto the surface of each schiacciata. Strew the rosemary and sea salt over the flatbreads. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Login and Registration Form