- 2 cups boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled, cut lengthwise into quarters then into ½ inch chunks
- 2 medium leeks, thoroughly cleaned, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1 cup winter squash or pumpkin seeded, rind removed and diced (optional)
- 1 cup very ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh, shelled white haricot, cannellini or pinto beans
- 3 quarts / 12 cups boiling water (use the liquid from dried beans to make up a portion)
- 2 cups small zucchini cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cups of the smallest green beans you can find, topped and tailed, strings removed and cut into 1/2 inch lengths.
- INGREDIENTS for the PISTOU
- 2 cup packed basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup A L’ Olivier Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese or Pecorino, grated + additional for passing at table
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
Time: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil until fragrant then add the potatoes, carrots and leeks.
- Stir to coat with oil and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and the winter squash, if using. Sauté an additional 5 minutes. Add another drop or two of oil if needed
- Add the shell beans to the pot.
- Pour in the water. Bring to a quick boil, then lower to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, bring the soup to a rapid boil again.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and green beans.
- Add the pasta and cook to package directions. Test the pasta, it may take a minute or two longer than calculated.
- MAKE the PISTOU.
- While the soup is on, put the basil and garlic and ¼ cup of the oil in the blender and pulse to chop everything up.
- Let it run while you add the rest of the oil.
- Turn the sauce into a bowl and stir in the grated cheese.
- TO SERVE.
- Stir the pistou into the soup.
- Ladle the soup right from the pot, unless you happen to own a soup tureen, in which instance you will have pre-warmed it, before filling.
- Pass grated cheese round. Crusty bread is mandatory.
Login and Registration Form