- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb. plum tomatoes, canned or fresh, coarsely chopped
- ½ minced chili pepper or a pinch of red pepper flakes,
- more if you like
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 dozen littleneck clams
- A handful of fresh chopped broad leaf parsley
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 SERVINGS
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, then add a tablespoon of coarse sea salt.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add the crushed garlic and the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Add chili pepper.
- Spaghettoni will take 15-16 minutes to cook. Add the pasta to the boiling water at the same time you lower the sauce to a simmer.
- After 8 minutes, raise the heat under the sauce to medium.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Add the clams. Cover and simmer 8 minutes more.
- Drain the pasta.
- Turn the spaghettoni into a serving bowl. Toss it with a ladle full of tomato sauce.
- Spoon on the rest of the sauce and add the handful of parsley.