- 1 medium, sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 sprigs of fresh basil
- sea salt
Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Sauté the onion in the extra virgin olive oil until transparent.
- Stir in the garlic. Let it soften for a minute or two.
- Put the tomatoes and their juice into the pot.
- Add the oregano or basil.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir now and then to prevent scorching.
- Mash the tomatoes against the side of the pot with the back of a spoon, or use a potato masher or puree using an immersion blender.
- Remove the basil beforehand.
- Taste for salt.