- 2 lbs (6-8) hefty, ripe tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup basil cut into strips
- 8 oz mozzarella balls
- Make the fresh tomato sauce. Cut an “x” into the blossom end of the tomatoes and plunge them, a few at a time, into a saucepan of boiling water. Lift them out after a minute and refresh under cold running water. Slip the skins. Core, seed and coarsely chop the tomatoes. Put them in your pasta bowl. Pour the oil over them. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the herbs. Set aside while the pasta water comes to a boil.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, then add a tablespoon of salt. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Right before the pasta is done toss the cheese with the tomatoes. Drain the pasta, add it to the bowl and toss thoroughly. Add a drizzle of olive oil if you feel it is needed.