- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt, whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Pomegranate Seeds
Time: 1 hour
Make the Rice
- Take a large heavy bottomed skillet for which you have a close-fitting lid. Lay the pot lid on a clean dishtowel, draw up the corners of the cloth tightly over the lid, tie the corners together over the handle with a bit of kitchen twine. Leave no dangly edges that could be exposed to the heat source.
- Bring a medium saucepan full of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add the rice and boil for 5 minutes, then drain. The rice will not be fully cooked.
- Lightly toast the saffron in a hot skillet off the fire. Powder it in a mortar with a pinch of salt.
- In a bowl large enough to contain the rice, blend yogurt, 2 tablespoons EVOO, lemon juice and saffron. Add rice and toss to coat with yogurt.
- Warm the remaining EVOO in the heavy pot on medium heat. Swirl the oil to coat the pan an inch up the sides. Add the rice and press it down evenly with the back of a wooden spoon.
- When it starts to sizzle, cover the pan with the prepared lid. Turn the heat to the lowest setting. Cook for 30 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes off the heat.
- Replace the lid with a plate (top side down) and invert the pot onto it. If the rice has stuck simply scrape it out of the pan and top the plate with it.